|English double-cut brilliant|
|Written by Administrator|
|Wednesday, 19 September 2007|
English double-cut brilliant. Same as English square-cut brilliant.
English Dresden diamond. A 119.50-carat diamond that was found in the Bagagem Mine, Minas Gerais, Brazil, in 1857. E. H. Dresden, a London merchant, purchased the stone, had it cut by Coster of Amsterdam into a 76.50-carat pear shape. Dresden later sold it, in 1864, to an English merchant in Bombay for $200,000. It was subsequently purchased by the Gaekwar of
Baroda, in whose family it remained until 1934. The English Dresden is now believed to be owned by Curset-jee Fardoonji of India. It was first called the Dresden Drop and later abbreviated to Dresden, the word English was added later, to distinguish it from the Dresden Green and other historic Diamonds of the same name in the Crown Jewels of Saxony. It is sometimes called the Star of Dresden Diamond. See Dresden drop
English round-cut brilliant
English round-cut brilliant. A style of diamond cutting that was fashionable in England in the mid-19th century. It was perhaps the first round-girdle form of cutting, resembling slightly a modern brilliant when viewed from directly above the ta-
ble. However, since as much weight was retained from octahedral rough as possible, the cut was very lumpy. The total depth approximated the girdle diameter.
English square-cut brilliant. Also, known as English double-cut brilliant. An early style of cutting having 16 crown facets, 12 pavilion facets, an octagonal table, and a culet.
|< Prev||Next >|
|Diamond Engagement Rings|