Examolite (trademark, Macbeth Daylighting Corp.) A diamond lamp designed to provide the approximate equivalent of north daylight. It is used both for displaying and grading Diamonds for body color.
Excelsior Diamond. From 1893, when it was found, until 1905 and the discovery of the colossal Culli-nan, the Excelsior was the largest diamond known to man: It weighed 995.20 carats, or about seven ounces! The Jagersfontein Mine, where it was found, was far from the early river diggings in South africa; in fact, it was an open-pit mine, where the gems were found in a dry
clay miles from any river bed. The huge lump was discovered accidentally by a native, when he picked up a shovelful of gravel he was throwing into a truck. He concealed it from the overseer, until he had an opportunity to deliver it directly to the mine manager. In addition to a cash settlement, he was given a fine horse, a saddle and a bridle. In shape, the stone was flat on one side and rose to a peak on the other, similar to a loaf of rye bread. This may have suggested the name Excelsior, which means more lofty or ever higher. Its color was said to be a true blue-white, something exceedingly rare in a diamond. Probably, however, it was a typical Jagersfontein product: colorless under incandescent light, but given a bluish cast by the ultraviolet in daylight because of strong fluorescence. The stone was not cut until 1903, when it was entrusted to the skill of Henry Koe of Asscher's Diamond Co. in Amsterdam. The yield was six pear shapes weighing 69.80, 47.15, 47.03, 34.97, 18.00 and 16.81 carats; four mar-
quise cuts weighing 40.36, 28.55, 26.37 and 24.38 carats; and eleven brilliant cuts, having a combined weight of 20.33 carats. This was a total of 373.75 carats, representing a weight loss of 62Y2 percent. Tiffany & Co. handled some of these stones in its old store on Union Square in New York City, but the exact number and final disposition of each has never been made public. In 1939, one of the marquise cuts was shown by De Beers Consolidated Mines, Ltd., at the House of Jewels at the New York World's Fair